Sunday, October 28, 2018

Toleration and Prejudice




People often mention toleration and prejudice within the same framework of the written or spoken word, but I decided just to concentrate on the perception of toleration, so as to take a positive point of view from the start. The word prejudice carries with it the weight of the negative and its not my purpose to be either negative or unduly critical.



So let me begin with commending my chosen compatriots of Spain for their toleration according to my immediate experience of it. That is to say, that as a foreigner, albeit within the European neighbourhood, I want to begin by examining my own experience of how I have been treated since moving here some 16 years ago. From the beginning of my time living in a small coastal town on the Mediteranean Sea, I have been generally pleasantly surprised at the toleration with which I have been received. I have often stopped people in the street and in halting broken Spanish (at first anyway) I have asked directions, or for help in some way, and almost always have been met with kindness and patience. Sometimes, people have even taken me to where I wanted to go, proudly depositing me on the doorstep of the local Ayuntamiento, or wherever, with a grand gesture of a wave of the hand and “De nada” graciously bestowed on my grateful thanks.



People have helped me in supermarkets, train stations, car parks and the like. Even though the small town I chose to live in was at one time during the peak of the housing boom, over-run with Brits buying up houses left, right and centre, I never felt the spur of resentment that foreigners often feel when settling in Britain. You only have to look at the desire of the British to leave Europe to see the truth of that. In fact such has been the desire of my Spanish compatriots to show tolerance and friendliness, that often, rather than disappointing me with the answer that they sadly don't know the place I'm looking for, many have chosen instead to give me entirely erroneous directions on the basis that a positive answers is better than no answer at all, lest I should think them uncaring and intolerant!



However, just how deep really does this apparent penchant for tolerance really go? I'd like to think that it is an essential part of the Spanish make-up, that its not only skin deep. But other experiences have shown me that this is not necessarily a given truth.



In our changing world there has been a great influx of foreign nationals across Europe in recent years. From European exchange students to refugees, Europe has, albeit reluctantly, opened its doors. There are the retired British ex-pats who have flooded some spanish communities, buying up all kinds of properties from new builds to old “quaint” townhouses. But is it us or our bank accounts that have been welcomed? What about those who do not come with disposable income attached? What about those who come with a strong work ethic and are determined to “make it” in the West? Or those who come with nothing more than a povery-soaked dream that Europe is paved with gold, if only they can get their foot on the first rung. And that first rung is just surviving the journey. we`ll never know how many didn`t.



I`m not talking here about hatred but resentment, about the need for tolerance and the need to change our perception of those who are different from us; those who need our compassion or just tolerance, in that they just want the same things that we want, a home, a mobile phone, a tv and actual running water in the house!



Well, I`m talking about the Spanish as a whole from the perspective of the British foreigner, but the same can be said of any european country. No doubt some of you will have your own opinions of the British!



But remember, my aim here is not to create argument or dissension, but to take a brief look at the Spanish culture of tolerance in particular as a subject for discussion in this blog. I welcome the opportunity to be educated, though of course in the spirit of tolerance please!
As to the roots of the development of this kind of personality trait, I welcome your comments. Do you see the ex-pats living in Spain as being equally tolerant, or come to that, in your own visits to Britain, does their underlying intolerance peek through their outer skin of politeness? Do you think that the spanish gift for tolerance has changed in modernt times i.e. the last fifty years?



No doubt Spain is changing, and with moderization there is a price to be paid, but at least for now Spain continues to display its tolerant, relaxed approach to life at least. And I for one, applaud that.




No comments:

Post a Comment